Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm obsessed with Santa Cruz...

Yes, it's official. I am obsessed with Santa Cruz, CA. Aside from the natural beauty there are some of the most genuine people you could ever hope to meet and don't get me started on the food. Suffice to say that I am willing to drive to Santa Cruz for lunch, that's how much good food there is. Ahh! 

Anyway, these pictures were taken on 7/11/11 on a trip to Santa Cruz to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. He is also obsessed with Santa Cruz and so that's what I decided to give him for his birthday, Santa Cruz. Well, Santa Cruz and a toy sword so he can be a pirate in Santa Cruz. This particular trip to SC we browsed/shopped downtown, went to the beach, and went out to dinner and coffee. Sounds like a decent birthday, right?
Nick said that there had been another earthquake off the coast of Japan which we think caused these beautiful waves. Love this shot because you can see the waves as well as one the natural bridges.

Not sure why I like this picture so much. I just like taking pictures of those little rock islands just offshort.


This and the next couple pictures show the progression of a swell that proceeded to completely flood the cove we were in. Thankfully no one experienced too much loss. A few people had dog toys get misplaced but later found. There was a really nice guy sitting drawing and he almost lost his sketchbook, I was so relieved that he didn't, I don't know what I'd do if a wave washed away my art. 


I had no zoom to take this. I didn't think the wave was going to keep coming but it certainly did. Thankfully Nick saved my purse and had me stand on a log so my shoes didn't get soaked. (He was wearing flip flops so he just let the wave hit him.) So crazy! Big waves at high tide plus earthquake = a new experience for Stephanie.

This was the cove we had been sitting in! Obviously this was taken from the street level. We had to leave the beach since we weren't really dressed to play in the water. It's a beautiful view, especially since all the people had to leave because of that swell!

Not too far down the street we happened upon this awesome gem of nature. As you look at this and the next two pictures pay attention to the area where the waves are heading to.

In this little area there's an inlet and the waves can make a waterfall! In this picture you can see the splash of the wave at the lower level as well as the inlet.

Waterfall!!! So cool, right? Well, I thought so. I took some other pictures of this area closer up but the waterfall action isn't as clear so these are the ones I decided to share. If you want to see the others I'd love to show you!


Same view as the first picture but from the street level as opposed to the beach level (maybe 30-50 feet difference). I am absolutely in love with natural bridges! I think the SC coast has got to be one of the most beautiful that I've ever seen.

"You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." Micah 7:19

No comments:

Post a Comment