Friday, April 15, 2011

A bit of art history

Hi Everyone!

I suppose this is the introductory blog, so here goes! I'm Stephanie and my roommate informed me that I needed to start a blog. She wanted it to be a makeup blog because well, I love makeup, as does she and we're both fairly decent with it but I have decided rather, to make this an all-inclusive look into the artistic, sometimes eccentric mind of me.

I have always loved doodling and drawing, from a very young age. I started painting when I was around 8, doing toll painting (a decorative, sometimes more crafty style generally put onto wooden household decorations) when my Grammie, my maternal grandmother, realized that I might be good at it. I learned quickly that being left-handed made following many patterns difficult as I had to do the design from right to left, contradictory to how we're used to doing things in the Western World. I dabbled with this for a bit, I was pretty good, won some prizes at the local fair but it didn't captivate me.

Fast forward about 10 years to my senior year of high school where I was suddenly overcome with a desire to get creative again. During my senior year of high school I was blessed to take three major trips that inspired me to start taking pictures for the sake of memory as well as art. This is also when I started really getting into makeup and also when I started doodling. I would doodle during class, on my church programs, ect. I found that it actually really helped me to concentrate when I wasn't actively taking notes and so the habit stuck.
You will need to know that I will pretty much always say doodling instead of drawing or sketching. I feel that drawing is a word that I like to reserve for "real artists". By this I only mean people that have taken art classes or draw representative interpretations of things around us in the world. I don't feel that doodling is a negative or derogatory term in any way, in fact I find it to be endearing, I feel that it makes things more casual, there are no expectations put on my creations.

Most of my creations are pretty much abstract. I don't feel that I am very good at drawing or painting and therefore I stick to things that I don't have to compare to. I have drawn a few decent pictures and may eventually post them, but not yet. I will also be posting makeup looks that I feel are particularly creative and/or nice and probably some sort of explanation as to how I accomplished the look.

Thanks for checking this out and hold on cause God only knows where this journey is going to take us!

The picture below is something I worked on a lot during class my second year of college.



No comments:

Post a Comment