Hi beautifuls!
I have missed being a part of this little world, even if my blog doesn't get the most traffic, it is a great little place for me to express myself.
Today I want to take a few minutes to share about my feelings on Ash Wednesday and the Lenten Season.
I have been observing lent for a couple of years now and I've found it to be a really great experience. I am not Catholic myself, but I really love the idea of giving up something, a vice, as someone called it, and I do this to honor God for the season.
The things I've given up have included; soda, lattes(including mochas, ect), buying clothes and shoes, swearing, and a few others.
I am giving up buying clothes and shoes again this year because I feel that this was one of the most impactful in my life. Last year I gave these things up and at the end donated some of the money that I saved to Compassion. I haven't sponsored a specifc child yet but I can at the very least give to children who do not have any clothes or shoes to wear. If you have ideas for other organizations, please let me know!
I find that while saving money this is largely a heart issue for myself. I buy clothes and shoes so often because I am so deeply desiring to fit into a mold that is not me. I shop at stores like J. Crew and Banana Republic because that is the image of myself that I would like to portray to the world. One of someone who is well put together and successful, of which I am not really either at this stage. I feel a sense of gratification when someone says that they love my outfit because it makes me feel like I belong to their world, whomever they might be.
For me, giving up shopping is much more of a break from my crutch than saving money, while that is amazing too. I feel that I have to accept the items that I own, but moreso, I have to accept myself for who I am at this time, without whatever item I might purchase to adorn myself.
In this time I will being attempting to dedicate more time to prayer, concisous spending, and being content with who I am. I will try to spend more time in nature and less browing the internet for the perfect white button down shirt. In this time I will work to rely on God's love as fulfillment and I pray that you might consider this challenge also.
I've missed you all and I'll try to be better at busting our these lunch hour blogs now that I won't need to be spending my lunch hour our shopping.
Every human alive loves to shop...some just won't admit it.
ReplyDeleteJust checking back for any new items you may have posted.
I left a note of invitation in the comment section on one of your past posts’ and invited you to follow my blog. Just in case it was accidently overlooked, just want you to know the invitation is still very much valid…and of course, I am already following your blog.